How can we improve the Digital Agenda Assembly?

More audience interaction

Far too much being talked at when we need to debate. I know it's the standard EU format, but do we really always have to have the current and next Presidencies and the CoR and the ECSC and and and. I mean really, who ever heard of workshops (workshops?!) with 8 or 9 speakers??? How's about half a day run as an unconference.

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MartinMartin shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

I also don't know how workshop speakers were selected but the EU Commisson chose the usual suspects in the field, Brussels lobbyists and representatives. Worst of it all the comprehensions of the workshop results were prepared in advance! How boring it that, what a waste of our time. I don't want to listen to lobby pricks but real professionals. Ban everyone who is in the EU lobby register from participation as a speaker and things would be fine.

• Ian ChowcatIan Chowcat commented  · 

A four-hour workshop with no coffee or comfort break ... a second four hour workshop with just 15 minutes for discussion ...... these are not true workshops, and what a waste of such a diverse and well-informed audience

• Andrew StottAndrew Stott commented  · 

The set-pieces from the current and next Presidencies were at least short and snappy, as was the Commissioner's speech.

As Martin says, some of the workshops had too many speakers. I moderated as a late substitute half of one workshop which had been set up with six presentations with eight speakers. And five minutes before the start the time available was reduced by 20 minutes. As a result I had to push the speakers hard simply to keep to time and there was no time for discussion.

By contrast the PSI workshop had a good interaction session where there were two "open microphones" for the audience and people queued up to speak. The moderator encouraged "statements" rather than specific questions to individual panelists, and as a result a wide range of views were heard.

Feedback and Knowledge Base